Is there such a thing as the perfect flea treatment for pets that covers all the possible parasites that could infect our furry friends? Probably not, but many hours of research have brought me to the conclusion that there are some products that come close.
Animal health can be a complex issue at the best of times and no less so when trying to find the best flea treatment for our dogs (and cats). But what about the other parasites that we need protect them from? What about protection from ticks, heartworms, tapeworms, hookworms, whipworms, roundworms, ear mites and sarcoptic mange?
Is there a safe and effective product on the market that can be used to treat at least most of the main parasites mentioned above – or at least as many as possible? Could Advantage Multi for dogs be this product?
This article will give you all the answers to these questions. We will tell you how Advantage Multi works, what it’s active ingredients are, what kind of protection and benefits it offers to your pet, whether it is safe or has side effects, how to use it on your pet, what it costs and where you can purchase it.
- 1 Advantage Multi – What Is It?
- 2 Questions and Answers:
- 3 Benefits Of Using This Product On Your Dog:
- 4 How does this product work?
- 5 How do I apply this product?
- 6 Safety Tips:
- 7 Our verdict?
Advantage Multi – What Is It?
If you are looking for a convenient, once-a-month, effective topical spot-on (topical) solution to apply to your dog or cat then this could be the one. It gives protection against many parasites, so you get broad spectrum cover with one easy treatment.
Advantage Multi For Dogs
- Very convenient to use heartworm prevention. If you forget to give the next dose after exactly 30 days then don’t sweat it, but just give the next dose immediately to resume your schedule and give it again monthly after that.
- It will protect your dog against flea infestations by disrupting the flea life cycle.
- Adult fleas are also killed on contact which means your dog does not need to get a flea bite before the fleas die.
- It acts swiftly against three parasites that can live in your dog’s intestines (whipworms, roundworms and hookworms).
- Gives effective protection against Sarcoptes, a very irritating skin mite that can infect the skin of dogs and humans and makes them itch like crazy.
Advantage Multi For Cats
- Heartworm disease is often overlooked in cats but your furry friend will be protected by Advantage Multi for cats.
- Destroys adult fleas when they make contact with the active ingredient, so no biting and feeding is required.
- Flea infestations are prevented as well through flea life cycle disruption.
- Also controls and treats hookworms and roundworms (intestinal parasites) as well as the ear mites which are a common problem in cats.
- Treating ferrets: this product is a first, and is approved for the treatment in ferrets of flea infestations, adult fleas and heartworm disease.
Questions and Answers:
- Are Advantage Multi and Advocate for dogs the same? Yes, these products are identical, both are Bayer products and have the same active ingredients.
- Can I use Advantage Multi for puppies? Yes, it can be given to dogs that are 7 weeks or older and weigh 3lbs or more, and to cats 9 weeks or older that weigh 5lbs or more. Also given to ferrets that weigh 2lbs or more.
- Does it protect my dog against ticks? No, it offers no tick protection. But add the Seresto Collar to give 7 to 8 months flea and tick protection.
- Is it expensive? Some folks think it’s a bit pricey but worth it for the extra all-in-one protection that it offers against multiple parasites.
- Is it smelly? Some pet owners notice a slight odour for a day or two after application but it fades and is not a serious problem.
- Is it messy to use? Depending on the length of your dog’s coat there could be a slight oilyness at the application site until it dries after 24 to 48 hours.
- Can it be used in pregnant pets? No, safety has not been verified yet in pets that are lactating, breeding or pregnant so it should not be used.
- Can I shampoo my dog? Yes, the effectiveness of the product is not reduced and your pet can be washed or exposed to water after about 3-4 days.
Benefits Of Using This Product On Your Dog:
- Monthly application, applied topically, easy to use
- A useful treatment schedule which allows you to start treatment again immediately if you missed the next 30 day dose.
- Adult fleas are killed on contact in 3 to 5 minutes and most (99%) die within 12 hours. It also prevents flea infestations and flea larvae die in 20 minutes.
- Controls and treats microfilaria found in the system of dogs with heartworm infestation.
- Kills and prevents intestinal parasites (roundworms, whipworms, hookworms).
- Prevents and treats infective sarcoptic mites (ear mites in cats, mange in dogs).
- Approved for flea and heartworm prevention in ferrets.
How does this product work?
Imidacloprid and Moxidectin are the two active ingredients found in this product. Small, immature heartworms may be present in your dog’s system after being bitten by mosquitos that carry this parasite. Migration to the heart of these microfilaria can cause heartworm disease but Moxidectin kills them before they can grow into adult heartworms.
Moxidectin can also act as a good wormer and kills three intestinal worms that are commonly found in dogs. The worms are destroyed by paralysing their nervous systems and eliminated from your pet’s intestines.
Fleas are killed on contact with Imidacloprid which penetrates the skin of the flea and disrupts it’s nervous system causing rapid death. So the fleas do not even have to bite your pet or suck it’s blood to be destroyed. This is a major advantage over oral flea pills where the fleas have to bite your dog first before they die.
How do I apply this product?
Ease of application is definitely a plus here. This product is a topical solution that is applied to your pet’s skin. It contains an ingredient that uses the oils that occur naturally on your pet’s coat and skin to rapidly spread until it covers the dog’s entire body.
Application is easy – open the small plastic vial containing the solution and find a good spot at the back of your pet’s neck (near the base of the neck, just above the shoulder blades). Part the fur with the fingers of your one hand while holding the open vial against your pet’s skin and squeezing gently. Allow all the solution to be squeezed out of the vial and run onto your pet’s skin, then release the fur and don’t rub the application spot with your fingers.
If you own a cat or small dog then the entire dose can be applied to a single spot at the base of the neck. With larger dog breeds you should apply the topical solution to three or four spots starting from the base of the dog’s neck to the end of it’s back.
Allow the solution to dry slowly, which can take 12 to 24 hours. Keep your dog away from water during that time and prevent him or her from scratching the application spot (if possible) because it’s not a good idea to let your pet ingest this product by licking before it has dried. This can sometimes happen though and your furry friends might be a bit lethargic for a day or so before becoming their happy selves again.
Which dosage size of Advantage Multi (Advocate) is the right one for my pet?
Advocate For Dogs (Advantage Multi dogs):
- Dogs 3-9lbs (1-4kg): Very Small Dog : imidacloprid 40 mg / moxidectin 10 mg (0.4 ml tubes)
- Dogs 9-20lbs (4-10kg): Small Dog : imidacloprid 100 mg / moxidectin 25 mg (1 ml tubes)
- Dogs 20-55lbs (10-25kg): Medium Dog : imidacloprid 250 mg / moxidectin 62.5 mg (2.5 ml tubes)
- Dogs 55-88lbs (25-40kg): Large Dog : imidacloprid 400 mg / moxidectin 100 mg (4 ml tubes)
- Dogs 88-110lbs (40-60kg): X-Large Dog : imidacloprid 500 mg / moxidectin 125 mg (5 ml tubes)
- For dogs over 110 lbs: use a combination of tubes as appropriate for the weight of your dog
Advocate For Cats (Advantage Multi cats):
- Cats 2-5lbs (1-2kg): Small Cat : imidacloprid 23 mg / moxidectin 2.3 mg (0.4 ml tubes)
- Cats 5-9lbs (2-4kg): Medium Cat : imidacloprid 40 mg / moxidectin 4 mg (0.4 ml tubes)
- Cats 9-18lbs (over 4kg): Large Cat : imidacloprid 80 mg / moxidectin 8 mg (0.8 ml tubes)
- For cats over 18 lbs: use a combination of tubes as appropriate for the weight of your cat
- Wash your hands immediately with soap after applying the product
- Don’t allow your pet to lick the application site for 2 hours
- Don’t let kids touch the application site for 2 hours
- Don’t allow the medication to touch your dog’s mouth and eyes
- Separate non-treated from treated dogs for at least 30 minutes to prevent licking of the application site
What potential side effects should I be aware of?
- Side effects are rare but can sometimes occur in a very small percentage of pets
- Take your pet to the vet if you notice any of these side effects
- Allergic reactions: sudden itching, hives, facial swelling
- Skin reaction or irritation at the application site
- Lethargy, changes in behaviour, prolonged sleepiness
- Stiff, matted or oily hair at the application site is a minor occurrence
- A slight smell or odour can occur for the first few days but is a minor problem
If you are looking for an effective flea treatment medication for your dog or cat that also treats and prevents infestation with multiple other parasites, then Advocate is probably the right one for you. It’s convenient, needs to be applied only once-a-month and is generally very well tolerated by pets. The price is not the cheapest flea medicine around but when you consider the multi-factor protection that you get for your pet then it’s probably well worth paying the slightly higher price.
If you are looking for a different dewormer or a more specific worm treatment then you can go here to read our Milbemax product review.
But don’t take our word for it – we also researched extensively online to find out what regular folks and pet owners thought about Advantage-Multi-Advocate and here’s a cross section of what they had to say:
- has been fine, but a bit smelly
- easy to apply, and effective
- she is an outdoor cat so it’s working.
- less expensive to use one product as opposed to separate heart worm pills & flea prevention
- I apply it first thing in the morning so it’s pretty much absorbed by bedtime
- I like the convenience of dual protection against heartworm & fleas.
- this product is veterinarian approved
- it has stood the test of time
- a bit pricey but worth it
- great all-in-one application
- no more fleas and my dog loves it
We hope you enjoyed our Advantage Multi (Advocate) product review and please feel free to browse the rest of our site!